What in the world is a bluestocking? And how do you know if you are one?
Don’t worry. It doesn’t mean you have a weird obsession with wearing blue socks. In the Regency Era, women who’s interest and passion was found in books were often dubbed “bluestockings”.
Blue·stock·ing (ˈblo͞oˌstäkiNG): An intellectual or literary woman.Dictionary
Presently, you may have heard such creatures called bookworms, intellectuals, or even worse…nerds.
So how do you know if you are such a person? Read through the checklist to find out:
- You have a pile of books somewhere in your room
- You take a book to every doctor’s appointment, road trip, or vacation
- You lay in bed at night and grieve the latest tragedy in the book you’re reading
- You fall in love with every hero you read about
- You have a read list, a to-be read list, and a read-again list
- You cherish old book scenes like childhood memories
- You view luxury as swinging in a hammock with a book
- Your favorite smell is in the crack of a book
- You schedule your day to allow for reading time
- Your greatest dream is a library room in your house
- You never quit reading in the middle of a scene
- And you’re never offended when someone calls you a bluestocking
Well, friend? Are you a bluestocking?